Joint with the Middlesex Canal Association. Meet at 1:30pm at the Middlesex Canal Museum and Visitor Center in the Faulkner Mill in North Billerica. The walk will be over 3-4 miles of generally level wooded terrain and streets, for 2-3 hours, rain or shine. The route follows the canal for a round trip of approximately 3 miles south of the Concord River. Sites to be visited include: two guard locks; an anchor stone and the 'peninsula' at the opposite ends of the floating bridge that once carried the towpath across the Concord; the 1825 iron bolt pond-level reference; the "deep cut"; a smallpox memorial marker; and stretches of canal some of which are still watered. The Museum, Visitor Center and bookstore will be open from 12:00 pm-4:00 pm. No dogs. Bring water and snacks. Leaders: Robert Winters, Marlies HendersonDirections:
Directions by car: from Route 128/95, take Route 3 toward Nashua to exit 28 (Treble Cove Road, North Billerica, Carlisle). At end of ramp, turn left onto Treble Cove Road toward North Billerica. At about 0.75 miles, bear left at fork. After another 0.75 m
Born Dutch, but naturalized. Radical conservationist. Explorer and writer. Advocate for hiking and biking.